supercats

supercats
(8-4) in the SEC

Saturday, February 14, 2009

"The Next Game is the Most Important of the Season [...]" Billy G.

I think it was 1991. I was in my room on a Saturday afternoon. The Cats were playing USC. The Gamecocks were on an early run and Ralph Hacker said "The Cats better get it together, South Carolina can let the air out of the ball." The Cats then went on a tear. Caywood calls this play, "Quick 3 by Pelphrey, write it down...inbounds the ball...turnover, quickly down Farmer for 3...YES SIR...WRITE IT DOWN." The Cats went on to win huge, that was the spark that was needed. Man, I loved that team. Before they were the Unforgetables, they were near and dear to me. Pitino's Bombinos were so exciting. I don't care who Pelphrey coaches for I will root for him (except on Saturday). He is and was unforgetable.
Over the last few days I have been rummaging through all of the audio over the last week and there is so much great stuff. I found a great tidbit on Billy D.'s pre-game Kentucky audio, "I don't think that the SEC has any one who would intentionally hurt someone...I know that there has been some around the league [...]" Then his own Hodge goes out and intentionally steps on Perry's arm. That seems bizarre and it happened the very next game.

We, Big Blue Nation, are waiting with baited breath to see if Patterson will play. I think we could win with out him, but I like having him in there. He just hustles so freaking much. It appears that he is about to hit his stride, where he just takes over games. He is the one that keeps us grounded. (with Jodie we are [breaks into singing],"SOARING, FLYING, WE'RE BREAKING FREE...uh hum...sorry about that.") "He is relentless...Warrior-like...One of my favorite players in the league". That was straight from Pelphrey's mouth. How cool is that. See you can't get away from the connections. Funny things is, Pelphrey means as much to Kentucky basketball as Patterson, but ONLY one can actually help secure the future of Kentucky Basketball. One day we will be able to reflect on the NBA star Patrick Patterson and how he shouldered us in our lean years. Yeah, I'd raise my glass to that.

Here's to the momentum that Porter and Galloway played with against Florida, that it would continue. I really think that if Galloway and Liggins can hold down the point that Porter can get some open looks without having the pressure of holding the team together. See, here is the difference in the mentality of a point guard (and lead guard as well) and a scorer. Notice that I did not say shooting guard. Let me explain, when a player has spent his career as a catch and shoot scorer (or slasher scorer), and he is used to just putting the ball in the hole, the added weight of making sure that everyone else is in position can take you out of your rhythm and your head. If Porter can relax and just focus on shooting or setting up the post with a quick drive and dish, I think that he can give great minutes. Now, those of you loyal readers with know that I said earlier in the year that Porter would be a great point guard and that we would be glad to have him in the tournament...well, if he is our only option, then yeah, but if Kevin establishes himself...We suddenly become a real threat: 2 tall, quick point guards in Liggins and Galloway. 2 shooters in Jodie and Mike. Mike may wind up being a John Paxon or Steve Kerr. (To those of you young ones, the Bulls won a couple NBA Championships on their 3 point shots, and Jordan was on those teams. Those 3's were last second game winners.)

I know the mentality of a scorer, that is what I am. I can play point (since I am 6 feet tall, I would be a 1 or maybe a 2 in college) but my mind doesn't tick like that on offense. If you get me the ball, I look for the best option; if it's me, then the ball goes in the air. More so If I am posting up or I curl around for the 3...but when I am playing, my mind is on getting the ball in the hole.

Disconcerting News from Arkansas, Fortson suspended indefinitely and Marcus Monk. Marcus Monk is quote, "No longer a member on the University of Arkansas basketball team." Arkansas Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long. (I hate the source of this article but it was the only good one I could find in a pinch...I have a real dislike for Jerry. My "positivity" is for the Team not for the Local Media...because the influence the perception of lots of people, and I think they get it wrong way more than right.) So, one of the best guards in the SEC this year is out for a while. I think this is a game where we can establish some dominance "again". Billy G. did say though that Bud Walton arena is on of the best arenas in college basketball. I know that we can't overlook anyone, and I don't suggest that we do that but without solid point play any team is in trouble. (We should know that).

1:00pm is when this all comes down...we'll see you after the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment