supercats

supercats
(8-4) in the SEC

Saturday, January 31, 2009

An Ocean of Blue Can't Wash Away the Loss but It Does Warm the Heart

Rupp was rocking today. I mean 24,ooo fans just cheering their butts off. There was not more than 50 USC fans present. I did not wear a UK sweatshirt but a USC windbreaker. I took off my new Gamecocks windbreaker, it was too hot to wear it, and sported by UK t-shirt (couldn't help it in a sea of blue I am not going to be the odd man out, my heart wasn't in it).


I was just awed by the overwhelming, yet perfect shade of blue imbuing Rupp Arena; it was absolutely breathtaking. I lost my voice in the first five minutes. This is the my first game with Gillispie at the helm, and I liked it. Wow, what an atmosphere. The bad news is we lost. Devan Downey was nigh unstoppable, not Jodie Meeks at Tennessee unstoppable but he did significant damage to all of our guards. His dribble penetration was superb. He sliced in the lane right, switched to the left, and faded away, time after, time after time. We had no answer for him in the second half. And when we did Fredricks or Holmes stepped up with a lucky rebound or lose ball. The Gamecocks were both lucky and good today; we were solid but a little loose.

Patterson pounded away at the inside with Perry also doing a lot of glass damage, but it was just not enough. Two reasons why we lost: unnecessary turnovers and rebounding. Those two things change the momentum of a game like nothing else. Turnovers at half-court and under the basket were like asps to Cleopatra. And rebounds start transition offense, which can lead to easy points. Enough said about that.

I was very proud to be a Kentucky fan today. Yelling and cheering our team on, but when you get home and read the comments to the stories...well, it is just sickening. I agree with Brian the Intern at Kentucky Sports Radio, "SUPPORT YOUR TEAM...OR FIND ANOTHER TEAM!" The cantankerous fans are worse than fickle media. Guys suck it up and show your BLUE or stop caring. There has to come a time in a fans life when they will or they will not support their team. If you care more about winning than support, then you are not a fan; FAN is short for fanatic. People are so afraid of being wrong or being on the wrong side, that they will sell their heritage and souls to look good in the eyes of people or the validation of being right. Where is the loyalty man...always looking for something better? How can you look for a better program to stand with? If you want to move on go ahead, but this is the way this ship sails, with Billy G. But We Wish you all the very best, but don't come slinking back around when the temperature gets a little hotter here with Final Fours and Championship games. I say ado to you and good riddance.


Darius Miller played a whale of a game to day. That block in the second half was just perfect and a momentum changer; he is going to be something special, so cherish him. And I love the new look (old look) that Gillispie is protraying. He is not so much worried about Meeks scoring 40 every night, though he doesn't mind, just as long as the points come in the flow of the game. He doesn't want an offense that is centered around Meeks. Think of it this way, if we are scoring 70's and 80's without Meeks getting 40 and the other players are stepping up then that will come in handy in the tournament. Everything is gearing up to tournament time...nothing else matters right now.


Once again I will say it...Billy G. didn't forget how to coach. He is more of a throw back to Rupp, than any coach that I have seen. He had more awards and trophies than any coach on Barnhart's short list, so he is the man for the job. His demeanor and his sarcastic quips are something of legends. I am on board and I am enjoy this season much like learning to love the Cats all over again. I love this season. Being at Rupp today was great even though we lost. My faith is in the team, the coach, and the program. What do these players think about their fans that continuously speak negativity over the program? These kids deserve more from us, as fans, and I am going to give them my respect and support. It is falling in love all over again...I am in it for the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment